Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Interior Design

Interior Design to me is not only the area of study i wish to successfully graduate in...Its more than that, It is the process of making a space a wonderful and memorable experience for every single person that walks in it, and with the help of my education realize that there is so much more that goes into designing than just designing itself, such as Human factors, Code regulations, the factors to consider while providing for people with disabilities, the safety and hazards of materials, and most of all the health safety and welfare of every individual that is intended to be using this space. Many people ignore the importance of designers...but think about it...bad design can not only be dis functional, but it can kill you.

There are many times i have walked up to a building with my brother in his wheelchair and I looked at the entrance to the building and said to him "Its not accessible, wait here for me". As i walked into the building i would curse the designer in my head, thinking what if he/she had been educated enough to know that not only is their design affecting people physically but emotionally too. What if this designer took into consideration the different kinds of people that will want to access this building but due to the ignorance of the designer they couldn't do so....what if....
This is where one of my favorite quotes makes the most sense
"you have to be the change you want to see" - Mahatma Gandhi

3 comments:

  1. Hi Chandni, I love your point of view and reflection on how important is an interior design project and how many details an interior designer will have to consider at the moment of making a project real. The importance of the ADA regulations in a project, mainly a public space is a key detail that an interior designer graduated will never forget...no one in our major will be able to even graduate without knowing that in a public space it's a must to imply the ADA above any other regulation first! Thanks for bringing up the reflection about a simple and so important detail that no one will realize but the interior designer and the handicap person that will utilize that space. One more point in favor of the interior designers and its importance in our everyday communities. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt your blog was very inspiring to read. I liked that you added your own real life story in order to show your concern for ADA compliance within commercial facilities. I felt I could relate to you because I also have family members with disabilities and the same thoughts have passes through my mind when entering certain buildings. Not only did you add a personal touch to your blog through a personal experience but the quote at the end really helped get your point across in a solid way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you took the real life experience into account of this topic. A Non-interior designer has obviously designed this space otherwise it would have correctly been designed using ADA. I hope you take this into your future designs as a designer!

    ReplyDelete